Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I heart the Olympics

I don't know what it is, but for some reason this year I am very intrigued by the Olympics. I've never really been a huge Olympics fan. I do remember watching the girls gymnastics - but mostly because it has dance-like qualities. I remember wanting to imitate Mary Lou. I remember the spectacular time Kerri Strugg finished on one foot. However, prior to this year, I have never cared about any of the other events in the summer Olympics.

But for some reason, this year has changed! I am now intrigued by many of the sports. It has been fun to watch Michael Phelps and his ridiculous abilities. I get winded just watching the guy and thinking "there is no way I could possibly swim that much and not give out". Did you hear that he has to eat about 10,000 calories per day to make up for what he burns swimming?

Synchronized diving is pretty interesting. I have figured out what to look for and what does/doesn't make a good performance.

I have also for the first time been intrigued by the men's gymnastics team. For some reason, I don't ever remember it being this incredible before. The sheer talent and muscle that these guys have is awe-inspiring.

Anyway - I just think it is interesting given that I've been tuning into the Olympics every day when I get home and look online to see who won medals every morning.

Go USA!

Oh - and on a side note, I know the US girl's team took the silver and were disappointed, but I think they should all be so proud of themselves. Silver is great! And you have to admit that its pretty darn good considering that the Chinese begin training their gymnasts at a much younger age. Kudos to the team!

No comments: