Wednesday, October 1, 2008

True Blood



Ahh Sookie, Sookie.

Get it?

It wasn't that funny.

True Blood is based on a series of books which I have just started reading. I've just gotten to the point in the first book where I'm just ahead of the series. I plan to finish in the next day or two. Before the next episode.

I sort of wish that I had read the book before the show so that I could compare the image in my head with what is on screen (especially casting wise) but instead, as I read, I have Anna Paquin and that Stephen Moyer guy in my head. Which isn't a bad thing. It's just that from what I've read at other forums, etc., the picture most people get is very different from that seen on TV.

For those who haven't seen it yet, the premise is that Sookie is a waitress with telepathy. Vampires are in the general population (out of the coffin, as they say), but are treated like second class citizens (seperate but equal was tossed around). This series is set in small town Louisiana. A series of murders have started happening in the quiet town - and people are beginning to suspect vampires - especially since the town just got its first. Bill, the new vamp, and Sookie are falling in love. Jason, Sookie's brother, is also a suspect in the crimes. And "V" (vampire blood) is a hot new drug for humans.

So far it is funny to see the comparisons with the book and the show. I haven't gotten to any mention of Tara yet, who on the show is Sookie's best friend.

But some parts are identical, especially some dialogue taken directly from the book.

Love the characters and the actors so far. Sometimes the accents are a bit extreme, but they are growing on me.

I'm going to do a bit more research on this, because I'm getting really into this. However my husband has already told me some tidbits (about what Sam is...notice I said what, not who). And that Sookie has her own secret - but she doesn't know it yet.

True Blood websites:

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2008/05/trueblood.jpg

http://fangbangers.com/

http://truebloodwiki.hbo.com/?t=anon

No comments: